09 April 2011

I LOVE KIMCHI!!!

Since my hair is still damp, I shall post up something before I sleep.
(Note, I have to wake up at 0800 and now it's already 0422. Sigh).

Anyway, back to Kimchi.

Contrary to popular belief, Kimchi, although a Korean word and a Korean dish, was not originated from Korea. And yes you are right, the Chinese are the first ones who came up with this delicious and healthy fermented food. (Google for it and you will more information!)

So as I am born in the Northern part of China (nearer to North Korea), I have been eating Kimchi even before I knew what are Koreans (meaning since I was a toddler lah!) Our way of making Kimchi is a little different from the Koreans though -- we don't add fish sauce.

However, as the Korean Kimchi is gaining popularity and that I pretty much like its taste too, my mum and I decided to make our own Korean Kimchi. We substituted the fish sauce with prawn paste though, since we could buy that in time.

Here are the photos!



Layer by layer, spread the pre-prepared chilli paste onto the saltwater-quenched Chinese cabbage.


After spreading is done.


Starting from the side with the leaves, make it into a roll for better diffusion of the paste.


Keep the rolls in a box, store it at somewhere dark and cool (e.g. your storeroom) and let it ferment for 2-3 days. Check the taste each day as Singapore is VERY hot. When the Kimchi is soft and looks a little soggy, put the box into the refrigerator. The Kimchi will be ready after another 2-3 days (of course the longer the better, but don't wait till 3 months when your Kimchi goes rotting).


Yummyyyy!!!
Hida was gazing at the sky at 04:35.