24 October 2005

I have been reading a lot of Chinese novels recently. I came across this book yesterday, which talked about how childhood enemies eventually became lovers ten years later. This story reminded me of my childhood playmates.

In the far away land back in China, I was born in one of the small towns of one of the famous cities of the northern part of China. My dad's company provided the flat we lived. The two units opposite to ours lived two of my dad's colleagues, together with their families. The children of these three families were best friends. There were two girls and one boy. I was the youngest among them.

I can't really remember much about the other girl. However, I do remember certain things about that boy, for my dad and his dad are closer friends compared to the other girl's. I'm sure I'm known for eating chili. haha. Guess what? I ate my very first piece of chili in his house when I was only 4-5 years old. The boy's mum just stuffed the little green chili into my mouth. From that time onwards, I started eating chili!!

His mum and my mum were both nurses, though in different hospitals. Thus, they were close buddies as well. Only a wall separated our units (just like the movie Turn Left, Turn Right, remember?). His parents' bed and my parents' bed were even placed at the same position against the wall. Know why? 'Cuz when they knock the wall slightly, we were able to hear it. We communicated through this way, for our voices can travel through the wall as well. This was more convenient than a telephone!

Anyway, about him.. He was once a round, dark and medium-in-height boy. He had single eyelids and little hair (botak). Haha. We were always together, playing catching, riding bicycles, catching dragonflies, eating wild fruits (yes, you can find this type of edible wild fruit near my estate), catching grasshoppers during the day and crickets at night, having snow fights during winter, going ice-skating when the ice was hard enough to do so (the rink was simply made by pouring water onto the field during winter, and ice will form very soon due to the low temperate), and lots and lots of things.. I was very, very sad when it was time for him to attend primary school (he is three years older than me).

Due to various reasons, I had to move out of that town. I seldom had the chance to see him then. In fact, I couldn't remember when was the last time I saw him before I migrated to Singapore.

Luckily, my mum still kept contact with his family. When I was in primary four in Singapore, my mum called his mum one day. His mum suddenly said that he wanted to talk to me. I received the phone from my mum, pressing it against my ear, and listened to what he had to say. I was so nervous then, my heart beat faster and my throat was dry. Then I heard the voice of a guy, calling for my name. Hey! He voice has changed so much! I couldn't believe my ears (of course I know that it's due to puberty, but I was not able to think so much at that moment). Without speaking a word, I passed the phone back to my mum. Oh gosh. I was just too shy to speak to him. I really wondered why. I still can't get it till now.

When I was in Sec 1, I finally had the chance to pay him a visit. I still remember clearly what happened that night. Dad had something on. Thus, I accompanied mum back to the hospital she used to work at. After a free dinner at her friend's restaurant, we set off to visit his family. My mum called his mum just before our arrival (I cycled there. Yes! After such a long wait, I finally had the chance cycle the way I did before I came to Singapore). I climbed up the stairs nervously, but quickly. Then, I saw a handsome guy climbing down the stairs. Although the light was very dim, I was able to see his features. He had a handsome face, beautiful eyes behind a pair of suitable spectacles, and a very nice hair cut. Most importantly, he was dressing up the way I like to see guys do (I shall not disclose the details =X paiseh mah). He stopped in front of me and looked. My mum caught up with me just at this moment. She was like,' Wow! This must be him!' I was like,' WHAT!!?? Are you sure!!!?! Oh my gosh, how can it be?' My dear dear childhood playmate had transformed into a handsome young man within six year's time! I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't. He was kind of shocked to see me though (SAD).

His dad was not at home that night. Our mums started the 'women's talk' in the living room immediately after we entered their house. He led me to his room then. WAH! tsk tsk. If you guys are thinking that China is still a very poor country with so many families having no television, no refrigerator or washing machine, please, slap yourself and wake up. I think his room is about the same as most families in Singapore, if not better. We sat in front of his computer and starting chatting as well. I was amazed by the tidiness of his room. haha. Guess what? He then opened up one of his cupboards and showed me all the 'rubbish' after I told him what I was thinking. HAHA. He told me that an hour ago before we arrived, his mum woke him up and threatened him to tidy up his room with a knife. hohoho what a funny joke. haha chey.. sama sama mah.. =)

I felt really bad that night in fact. I used to be skinny, fair and short. He used to be rounder, darker and medium in height. However, years later, ahhh!!! #$#%$#@#!! I'm now darker, rounder and super tall. He's now taller, fairer and thinner. What more was that he's very, very, very handsome now!!! He's one of the top students in the top school of that town, the president of the student council, the son of some high ranked manager ( yes, his dad has climbed to a very high position over the years). He's good in sports, and he even played the guitar for me!! wahhh.. He melted my hearted. I'm serious. He's just like one of those typical guys mentioned in Korean storybooks. ahhhhhhh. I really looked very ugly that time. I had super short hair due to school rules, and a very round body due to the lack of exercise. He asked me if I use lipstick. I replied him,' What's a lipstick?' ( but of course that was in Chinese, and there are two ways of calling lipstick in Chinese.. I wasn't sure of the second way that time, yah). wah. So embarrassing.

That night, I stayed over at his place since it was too late to go home. His mum was quite worried about us even though we were sleeping in different rooms -_- (2 teenagers, late at night, blah blah blah..) Shit la how. Seems that his mum doesn't like me as much as the way she did last time. I guess it must be because I'm too fat and too boyish.

The next morning, he woke up and had breakfast with us. He still wore the way I like guys to be dressed as. He was wearing a white shirt, just like an angel under the morning sun. This was the last time I see him, till the present.

I kind of miss him. But guess I'll always be his ex-neighbour in his heart. He's in university already, and probably would have been attached. How I wish I can stop growing. I'm going to be taller than him soon I think. Or may be I'm already taller than him. How? Why I just can't live a life of a normal girl? Life is never fair, oh well.

Just another beautiful dream.
Hida was gazing at the sky at 01:19.