20 November 2011

安分守己、明哲保身

These are the best ways to protect yourself from unwanted troubles, though probably in ways what others deem as selfish. I never felt the importance of these words until the recent encounters with my colleagues.

Food in India is not really that fantastic to visitors like us who came from eastern Asia. So most of the times, I'd cook my own dinner instead of ordering from the restaurants out there. Even during lunch hours at work, I'd go for very healthy foods like Subway sandwich (with no drink and cookie) or plan naans.

My two other colleagues, though both are more on the 'all-rounder' side, think totally different from me. They came here with the idea of wanting to have a healthier diet and try to at least maintain their weight. Most of the times, however, they prefer anything but healthy foods for their meals. Be it fried rice, MacDonald's burgers, fried foods, etc.

Seeing them having all these junk foods is really kind of upsetting to me. I kept on wondering, what will happen to them when they grow older? So out of goodwill, I started nagging at them to take less high-carbo foods, especially things like fried rice (it is to be noted that the fried rice in India is super high in oil, and the portion is huge too -- 2 to 3 bowls per serving). I also reminded them to walk around the office once in an hour or two, instead of sitting there for the whole day.

But each and every time they will reply me with, 'It's okay lah..'

After a while, I feel that they actually don't really give a damn about what they are eating and they cannot be bothered about changing certain bad habits that could be disastrous to them as they age. I guess they are also getting a little annoyed because of me. Now I feel that I'm the bad guy here trying to 'scold' them each and every time. It seems that I'm just being plainly busybody here and no one actually appreciates my efforts.

Fine, from now onwards I've decided to shut the fuck up and let them be. Good for me, good for them. It's actually none of my business when they suffer from high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels or even diabetes when they grow old. I shall just take care of my own healthy and that's it.

安分守己、明哲保身

In other words, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

You care for them, but they don't care whether you care about them or not, because they don't even really care about themselves too.

This is a heavily photoshopped photo of myself. I rarely do 'plastic surgery' to my photos hahaha.

Hida was gazing at the sky at 23:50.